Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Hit the Road!

I came across an interesting short article called "A History of the Gunks Carriageways," from a blog called sectionhiker.com.

It's a nice little read but what it really does is tell me just HOW much information is actually available in the Mohonk Archives. Both at the Preserve and the Mountain House.

It gives me an idea.....Since I am not(yet, anyway) a skier, nor an ice climber(which I will likely never be, with my aversion to cold and discomfort)... What a nice idea it might be to make a winter pilgrimage or two to the archives myself! I could try doing some cross-country skiing on the Mountain House grounds(being a preserve member does entitle us to access) and then, after a nice warming cup of hot cocoa(strike that - caffeine!) take a meandering visual hike back in time through the archives.

From what I understand Daniel Smiley had an obsession with data collecting, and for this we can all be grateful. The history of the area has been, indeed, preserved!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you enjoy my blog and would like to subscribe through RSS, you can click the FeedBurner Badge here. Thanks for your support!  Subscribe in a reader
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SquiDirectory - A categorized Squidoo directory featuring an interesting variety of different subjects ranging from arts and literature, shopping, and eco friendly tips, to vehicles for sale, travel, and everything in between.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Help support Happiegrrrl in her quest to travel, climb and live an adventurous life(instead of being stuck at home working.....). Visit her online shop, ClimbAddict, for original designs on t-shirts, jackets, caps, stickers and giftware.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Highly recommend that you check out the Mohonk Archives. You should also check out the Dan Smiley research center, also on the grounds of Mohonk, if you are interested in the environmental history of the gunks.