Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Joshua Tree March 2006 - Part II

Sunday, 3/26

This was "Group Climbing Day." Richard took charge, and knowing that there would be at least four people leading climbs, with people capable of following anywhere between 5.6 and 5.12, decided that Hemingway was a smart choice. We all packed into various cars and headed out early to get a start on our day.

I roped up with Ryan, following him up Dung Fu(5.7). I mistepped near the bottom, and cursed myself for coming off, but let my ego go and got back at it. As I apporached the section where the line seperates between a large break in the wall, I had a feeling of familiarity. Halfway through the section, I rememebered having tried the route last December, with Nick Sisk as my guide. I can't remember how badly I flailed on it that first time, but I do know that I flailed. Surely I would have added the acsent to my rc.com list of climbs(yes, I am a nerd) if I had followed it cleanly. I guess I will have to get on it again next trip.

Ryan wasn't familiar with the descent route, but heard there was a short section of 5th class downclimbing at the end, because the rope wouldn't reach the base. He gave me the option of chosing to walk off, and chicken that I am, I opted for it. It took a loooooong, long time, and we were in climbing shoes. I could have kicked myself when we got back to the group and someone pointed out the rap descent. I rememebred it from last year too, and had not had any trouble getting down the 10 short feet...... Live and learn.

I hate to admit it, but I was STILL tired from the climbing I had done on Friday, making my way up Looney Tunes. By the time I had topped out on Dung Fu, my arms were burning. I don't know what I was thinking on this trip, but it really seemed I was not using my footwork to full capacity, to say the least. Instead of getting on another line, I wanked out, happily I admit, and took photos for the rest of out time at Hemingway.

Here are some of the shots I got.

- Richard Leading Prepackaged
Image hosting by Photobucket
Image hosting by Photobucket
Image hosting by Photobucket
Image hosting by Photobucket
Image hosting by Photobucket
Image hosting by Photobucket
Image hosting by Photobucket
Image hosting by Photobucket
Image hosting by Photobucket
Image hosting by Photobucket
Image hosting by Photobucket
Image hosting by Photobucket
Image hosting by Photobucket
Image hosting by Photobucket
Image hosting by Photobucket
Image hosting by Photobucket
Image hosting by Photobucket

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: