Sunday, July 06, 2008

I Wanna Go Climbing!

Two weeks in a ROW I am stuck in NYC. For work, of all things. And I am missing out on camping and climbing. Very little consolation the rainy forecasts have been, either, when the thunderstorms came naught to pass....

My assistant asked for last weekend off, and I had to oblige. She rarely asks for time off. But then she changed her mind on Thursday! At 6 o'clock pm. Too late for me to get rides and climbing partners set up. I was not happy. But worse - she then asked if she could have THIS weekend off instead! My holiday weekend?! When I was hoping to catch an early start and make a long weekend for myself!?

It was awful. But I got over it, and fortunately I was not obviously obnoxious about it with my assistant.

Then - my other assistant called, leaving me a message. About "her August schedule." Uh Ohhhhh.....

Now, this one has had no qualms about asking for days off, or to change sessions to suits her own needs. Or saying no to me when I am relying on her to say yes. She had just taken 3 days off a week and a half ago, to boot. I couldn't imagine what she was possibly going to request.

Imagine my surprise, when her need was "to go to Europe at the start of August, for God knows how long," in her words. At least four weeks, and likely more. And somehow, I got the impression she was thinking I would simply fill in for her while she was away, holding her job.

I don't think so. For one thing, I had just booked my flights for my own trip, to Yosemite in the end of September. I'll be volunteering at the Yosemite Facelift cleanup, which is from September 24 - 28th, but am staying for a total of ten days. It will be my first time there, and this will give me a very nice introduction to the place. I know it will be magical.

So, the thought of hoping she would return to NY before my trip, only to have the days draw nearer and nearer with no word from her, was just not acceptable. As if a 4-plus week vacation from a company with 3 people in it would be okay in the first place.... ESPECIALLY when the reason I HAVE employees is so they can do MY work when I go away!

But that wasn't the only thing......

The thing is, I can't tell you. Not just yet. But, when I had the first assistant take two of my weekends from me, it just seemed like it was the straw that broke the camel's back. I had committed to making a change. Clearly, the situation I have constructed for myself just wasn't working. This, I have known for some time.... and it was just so crystal clear at that moment.

I mean, compared to someone who works a 9 to 5 office job, it works really well. But I left the office world because I didn't WANT to be working for the weekend and 2 weeks off a year. So, the upset I had from the upset of my weekend was the final straw and I "made that commitment for change."

Now, it's a very tenuous commitment, as you will find out, eventually(if it comes to pass). The change is contingent on a few items, of which I am not willing to lay out there just yet. You might say "Well, then you haven't fully committed, have you?"

I would reply... "Ohhhhh, yes I have..... But it's a doozy."

Two and a half days upstate each week, and a month each year in Joshua Tree just isn't cutting it. Even the added Yosemite trip is just serving to show me just HOW MUCH I am missing out on... Zion! City of Rocks! The Adirondack, Needles, Acadia, Vedawoo, Wind River, Smith Rocks, El Potrero Chico, Hueco Tanks, Red Rocks, the Flatirons, Squamish, Tennessee Wall, Red River Gorge, New River Gorge, Owens River Gorge....All those gorgeous places I haven't yet been to!

Really. I need to get out more.



~~~~~~~
If you enjoy my blog and would like to subscribe through RSS, you can click the FeedBurner Badge here. Thanks for your support!  Subscribe in a reader

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Help support Happiegrrrl in her quest to travel, climb and live an adventurous life(instead of being stuck at home working.....). Visit her online shop, ClimbAddict, for original designs on t-shirts, jackets, caps, stickers and giftware.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: