Monday, May 26, 2008

Watch Me!

As usual, I start my morning with coffee and a big, fat hunk of internet time sink. Out of obligation, I look at my business emails(grateful when there aren't any....hahaha) and my personals next. Deleting all the automated crap I signed up for thinking "Sure, I'll want that newsletter" and...well, right.

Then it's over to Supertopo for a gander at last night's drama du jour. Three hours difference in time, and I sometimes miss out on some good....well, okay. The truth is, the *big news* is sometimes drunken babbling, or the fizzling of a flame war. But, it's the addiction, of course, and I always think "There's going to be something good I can get to go with my joe..."

Well, this morning, there was. A guys came on to announce the launch of a new video website he's been working on. The site is called ClimbClips.com, and you can find it by clicking that hot link. Or....here, if you're like me and your caffeine hasn't kicked in yet, causing slow synapse connectivity...

The thing that makes his unique is that the primary focus will be climbing videos. There will be a Lifestyle section, which I hope will be filled with *around the campfire* antics and other such nonsense. And an "Other" category, which I suppose might be a place where people who submit climbing videos can upload other works. I mean, if I think someone is an awesome videographer, why not have an in-site link to their stuff? Makes sense to me.

This is a new launch, and there are not very many videos on the site yet. But don't let that stop you from taking a look, and passing the word along to people who can help this guy add some great content to his site.

So - since I am still...waking up.... I am just going to copy/paste the guy's Supertopo post here. After all, he knows better than I do what he's up to! Here's what he wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I've been a climber and a web designer for many years. Recently I decided to combine the two and construct a website providing a service which I think is somewhat lacking on the internet. The site is called Climb Clips. Simply put, it's a climbing video community. It runs using a system similar to You-Tube. You-Tube works fine, but why lose our climbing videos among millions of other non-climbing related clips?

Users can
sign up and upload their own climbing videos,
view other videos sorted by category,
send messages to other users,
Create and modify personal profiles
Create interest groups with other users
Rate videos
embed videos on other websites, just like you-tube
and more

There are few rules:
Mostly all directly climbing related content, though there are "lifestyle/fun" and "other" categories. Go nuts!
No overly violent of overly obscene content etc..Swearing and huge whippers = ok.
I want to try to keep videos depicting areas with access issues off the site. At least don't tell where it is.

So, the site is in it's infancy. You might call it "ClimbClips: BETA", no pun. Embarrassingly enough, I only have 2 video clips on it! But you have to start somewhere right?

I plan on adding "exclusives", my own video work on various climbs/subjects. I'm not trying to compete with the big boys in that regard though. It's all about fun. ClimbClips will always be 100% free.

Again the site is new, so there may be bugs in it still. If anyone has suggestions or comments, I'd like to hear them.

Thanks!!
-T. Carrier


Now.....if only I wasn't too cheap to upgrade from dial up, I could actually watch the videos! The good news is that I am not in the majority, and most people have quick connections.

~~~~~~~
If you enjoy my blog and would like to subscribe through RSS, you can click the FeedBurner Badge here. Thanks for your support!  Subscribe in a reader

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: